ANR in NSA 5G not working

Hi All,
I’ve enable ANR in NSA 5G here but we didn’t see any action from ANR in SON LOG (U2020).
Does ANR 5G NSA works?
Vendor is Huawei, RAN16.0

Yes, it works.
Maybe your configuration has problem, so ANR not work.

Configuration is simple, just one command, and it is ON.

For eg: ANR default set if number of HO > 1000 per day, it will add missing neighbor.
But your network just have relation with 100 HO times a day, so ANR dont take action.

Active ANR is not just ON command, need change some thresholds.
ANR is not a difficult technique, so I don’t think it is not working in Huawei RAN16.

Just like for some features: if swithc is just ON, maybe it do not reach the condition to work.

As I said, even if ANR feature is “active”, maybe not enough because some parameters set condition to trigger ANR to add missing neighbor.

You can check for eg: parameters about HO timers during a period.

1 Like

I’ve checked Feature activation docs, and there is only this command (to activate it) there.

Feature document activation just example, it just give basic parameters set for feaure to ON.
But it never say about parameters for feature to work/run well, it must base on your experience.
If apply only parameters in document, maybe work in this network, but not in other network.

I don’t know parameters name, but in 4G I actived ANR with about 10 commands.

ANR in 5G works only in SA.
Because no SIB1 in 5G NSA.

Yes, correct. We can define ANR at 4G end as well to add 5G auto neighbour.

Yes, but SIB1 in NSA is optional to configure.
For ANR to work, 5G SIB1 of NSA must set, so UE can read CGI.

I have not seen SIB1 in NSA logs of Huawei.
What is the command in NSA to enable SIB1 in 5G?

Sib 1 part of RRC reconfiguration message under spcellconfig common.

You don’t get CGI there to add NR to NR neighbors.

Ok, you mean in NSA. ANR need to activate.

Yes, NR to NR to add.

Perfect. Thanks.
That’s why 5G ANR is not working - my network is NSA.

For the NSA ANR support or not, we can check IE nr-CGIReporting-ENDC in the UECapabilityInformation Message.

In NSA networking, intra-RAT ANR requires that UEs support neighboring NG-RAN cell measurements of report type reportCGI (nr-CGI-Reporting-ENDC) in E-UTRA-NR Dual Connectivity (EN-DC).

So, if in the LOG there’s no “nr-CGIReporting-ENDC” IE in the UECapabilityInformation Message, so UE do not support it.

1 Like

The problem is UE or NSA?

Is NSA and UE.
First UE does not support CGI reporting and second NSA does not transmit SIB1 with CGI.
Even if you would have an SA network with CGI in SIB1 it wouldn’t work since your UE does not support CGI reporting.
I think it is not possible in NSA because there’s no SIB1 to transmit CGI so UE cannot report CGI of a missing neighbor.
But i don’t know where will the get the CGI of a missing neighbors in NSA without SIB1 :slight_smile:

UE (SA/NSA) reports only LTE ECGI in NSA network.
nr-cgi-reporting-ENDC itself may be a placeholder/dummy IE.
Else it should have been nr-cgi-reporting-nedc which makes sense but not in Option 3/3x.

This nr-cgi reporting can be 2 IEs:

• nr-CGI-Reporting

• Defines whether the UE supports acquisition of relevant information from a neighbouring intra-frequency or inter-frequency NR cell by reading the SI of the neighbouring cell and reporting the acquired information to the network as specified in TS 38.331 [9] when EN-DC is not configured.
  • nr-CGI-Reporting-ENDC

• Defines whether the UE supports acquisition of relevant information from a neighbouring intra-frequency or inter-frequency NR cell by reading the SI of the neighbouring cell and reporting the acquired information to the network as specified in TS 38.331 [9] when the EN-DC is configured.