2G and 3G Shutdown

Do we have handsets in the market that only supports 3G? Or even 2G?

Yes, but their ratio is very low.

This is the only concern i see around when we talk about shutting down 3G…

Yes, totally agree with you as this is the main concern of each operator, however if they compared the ratio of UEs supporting only 3G with the UEs supporting only 2G, they will go definetly to switch off 3G network not the 2G network.

100%.
If you don’t have 4G in low band, like 700/800/900, best thing to do is to shut down U900 and move to L900.

We can expect to see new operators announce plans to turn off their 2G and 3G technologies.

More details (and download full report) on: https://gsacom.com/paper/2g-3g-switch-off-july-2022-summary-report/

(GSA)

2G-3G Switch-off July-2022 Summary Report

When they were first introduced to the market, 2G and 3G were highly important innovations, but as greater technological advances have emerged, their importance has waned, and usage of both technologies is now diminishing worldwide. As a result, many operators and governments are determining that the older 2G and 3G technologies as well as the spectrum allocated to them should be switched off for the faster and more efficient 4G and 5G networks. This transition is typically referred to as the 2G and 3G switch-off.

Drawing on information collected by the GSA about the switch-off of 2G and 3G around the world, this report focuses on the number of operators that have already shut down these networks, those in the process of doing so and those planning such a move. It also identifies countries and territories that have in progress, completed or planned switch-offs.

2 Likes

I was just trying to understand why companies like Samsung, Apple, Nokia etc. still working on 2G?

Aren’t they completely shut?

2G is there to stay.

Globally most operators still have 2G, got rid/reframed 3G.

Because of the coverage in low bands.

There are lot of ATMs working in 2G, taxi machines too, etc.

2G is here to stay.

Just 3G will see sunset sooner or later in all countries.

India is done with 3G already.

Germany too since last year. All operators.

I would say 2G will stay for another 5 years or more.

As rightly said ATM swipe card machine and other devices still uses 2G. Even in India many remote places they don’t have 3G or 4G coverage, at those places 2g is the only option. So converting those sites to 4G or later Gen is time consuming and costly.

I am more worry about emergency calling what is very important work to get help when needed. Example in US you may not call to emergency due many issues in UE’s VoLTE issues: The Potential Perils of 2G and 3G Switch Offs - EENA

Sweden and Norway have planed shutdown 2G in 2025. 3G before that: Avveckling av 2G- och 3G-nät | PTS

So 2G/3G off Asia and America likely end of 2025. Then Europe follows 2025-2030.

Does anyone know for 2G shutdown network, how many % of 2G traffic in their network?

You must get it in KPIs, but in my case the GSM voice traffic is around 20%.

Does the hardware and components parts still available in case there’s a failure or require replacement?

Definitely , till we have users, we’ll have hardware also.

But over the time their availability will reduce, just to motivate people and users to move to higher generation.

1 Like

3G sunsets are near in Sweden, but 3G still represented near 11% of all voice minutes in 1H 2022 according to new stats from @PTSse today. VoLTE now 82%.

3G sunsets are near in Sweden

Source: https://twitter.com/tefficient/status/1595411746507919364

3G devices stop working as companies switch off networks: Here’s what you need to know

1 Like