2G and 3G Shutdown

Major operators shutting down 3G, and some keeping 2G. :frowning:

Check if your Verizon or AT&T phone will keep working after the networks’ 3G shutdowns

Not all old phones can learn new tricks

T-Mobile to leave 2G intact amid 3G CDMA shutdown

(T-Mobile plans to shutter its 3G CDMA network by January 1, 2022. However, the company has no firm date for when it will shut off its 2G GSM network.)

More and more wireless operators in Europe are announcing plans to switch off their 3G networks to free up spectrum for newer, faster 4G and 5G services.

Commercial 3G services have been with us since late 2001 when NTT DOCOMO of Japan did a limited launch of its FOMA offering. The 3G network proved so popular that the carrier closed down its 2G service just over a decade later, in April 2012.

While DOCOMO has announced that it’s retaining the FOMA service until March 2026, other firms aren’t hanging around. Several cellcos in Europe have already closed their 3G systems.

All good things must come to an end, and that includes the 3G network that has been around since the late aughts. Telcos are supporting and building out vastly superior 5G networks, and they don’t want to spend time and money maintaining older technologies that aren’t used much.

Removing older 3G towers makes space for 5G equipment and simplifies network management. Plus, some 3G spectrum can be used for 4G data, although 3G can’t be used for 5G, and 4G still has some years left.

1 Like

Yes.
We are working on O&M in Spain and there are a lot of sites with UL21, mixmode on Ericsson 4443 RRUs Bands 1 and 3.
DCS (GSM 1800) is long gone, and B3 is being used on L18.

1 Like

As we’re working on O&M I can tell u we have had to add more power to 4G and 5G sites, and power demands are far higher than we had with 2G/3G only sites.
We’re talking on 100% extra power in some sites.
4G and 5G can be very power demanding when u have a lot of customers lurking around…

1 Like

2G not there?

LTE getting retired … Surprised situation.
So whole network on 5G.

I’m not sure if Sprint has 2G.
They started with CDMA , I guess…

It seems so. Agressive, without a doubt.

I think very early Sprint’s taken decision.
Still 4G having huge bandwidth and scope.

They want to be pioneers on 5GSA full coverage.

Yes, seems so :+1:
TMO still with 4G and 5G.

Maybe it’s only sprint LTE NW that will be shut down.

I don’t buy this bit of information of being Pioneer or something.
This is just erase the branding Sprint after bought by T mobile.
T mobile already shut down 5G of Sprint last year and now 4G.
They are just going to use those band under their own brand.
Company loves money not resources. :smiley:

True, but there should be places that Sprint had coverage but TMO didn’t.
They probably sacrifice that in order to save moneys.

Yes I agree.

4G shutdown not easy to swallow. 3G is ok.

Agreed! :+1:

Global 2G and 3G Phase Out / Sunset: What Do We Know So Far?

2G, 3G Services Will Stop Working After 2033 In This Country: Only 5G, 6G Will Work! Will India Follow Suit?

4g skip in above :grin:

Operators will be forced to stop 2G and 3G services everywhere soon to avoid revenue loss.