Whats is the difference between DC (Dual Connectivity) and CA (Carrier Aggregation)?

Yes, it will stay in LTE.

So here we are :slight_smile: millions of useless NSA phones.

So you mean all operator will keep radiating SA and NSA both, as long as there are NSA device in network?

Yes, as long as NSA is there, NSA UE will work on it.
After that, those will be limited to LTE UEs, like the legacy ones.
Similar to what happened to CDMA or 3G only phones when those are phased out.

So we have to assume that, operator will have to radiate SA and NSA simultaneously, or postpone there SA only deployment few years later, right?

Or maybe ask NSA only UEs to upgrade :sweat_smile:

This is difficult :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

For example, we still have 3G & 2G, though not required with 4G & 5G coverages.

No simple answers here, all depends upon networking strategy and their cost to revenue models :sweat_smile: not aware of any of these business details.

Me too.
Not sure from biz perspective, above my paygrade.

Touche. :wink:

There is no way MNOs will cover same area with 2 cells/AAUs: one for SA one for NSA. It costs too much
It has to be either one or another.

Well, it might be difficult to justify this strategy for massive deployment, but I guess itll happen for specific places: venues, malls, etc. VIP places will need to have “lates technology”.
Imagine VZW CEO going to a Mall with his latest SA phone and getting no SA coverage…
You can’t disregard NSA as well due to obvious marketing implications.

BTW: i have a question. on the way SCG addition happens today, UE must be aware of SMTC parameters through LTE RRC Signaling in order to perform NR SSB measurements on the right place/time.
IMHO, it means LTE NodeB will have to be at least aware of timing difference in order to configure offset properly. Question: are collocated NodeBs and gNBs alwats synchronized? What about not collocated NodeBs and GNBs?
How are operators tackling this time offset awareness dependency?
(If SMTC isnt properly configred, SCG addition will fail and 5GNR wont work)

1 Like

Generally I find offset 0.

Because they’re syncd?
I’m just trying to understand how non collocated cells would interact.
If we need to ensure sites have same timing ref or not.

I find even for non synced cells even it works.
Please tell issue you observe.
At 5G end we have option to give lte to NR frame shift.
Generally when UE start to measure 5G cell it will look for SMTC parameter config ie ssb duration, offset, sub carrier spacing, position of ssb, etc.

Yes.
The offset parameter is to ensure that UE will scan for SSBs on the right time window.
If delta is 0, offset is 0, and no issue is seen.
On some cases we do see that NR Acquisition fails because LTE NodeB doesnt account for the actual timing offset.

Yes, true, I experienced same.
Offset part is tricky sometime to configure.

So, should LTE NB always be on the same timing basis of the 5GNR gNBs?
Or somehow the LTE NBs could retrieve this info through a standardized interface to apply and correct the offset?

Offset range 0 to 79.
As thumb rule when LTE and NR radio frame timing is aligned value preferred 0.

Hi @ankgitm, thanks. Agreed.
Question is how operators can ensure this alignment if LTE NBs and gNBs dont use the same timing reference?