What is the best way to control mobility in FWA?

Hi!

I have a question for you guys.

What is the best way to control mobility in FWA?

Since FWA is a fixed service, how can I avoid its use as a mobile device?
Initially, I thought about using the PCI Locker function on the CPE at the provisioning. But I guess it would be difficult because it should be done on a per-CPE basis.

Then I thought that a good approach would be using a LADN but in this case in particular the TA have too many cells.

So I ask you guys. What are your opinion or advice to control the CPE mobility in a FWA network?

Thanks in advance!

RB

Control mobility in FWA

Do CPE have SIM?
For registration it should.

For sure, they have.

During the registration procedure the CPE could be configured to limit the mobility using PCI Lock but for some CPE it should be done everytime a reset occurs.

1 Like

Assuming you already look through closed subscriber group,
I am not 100% certain, but how CBRS control the access for multiple network could be scenarios to benchmark.
I think it’s common CBRS scenario limiting PLMN access based on tracking area.

1 Like

I’m not totally aware of how the CSG works but as far as I could understand it creates a group of cells accessible only for specific users. Am I right? If so, I guess it’s not feasable in a wide network since it implies that you should have duplicated cells depending on the type of user that tries to connect.

Again, as far as I could think the most adequate approach, even if it not the best one, seems to implement a PCI lock and to create some automation to send the best PCI information to the CPE OTA from time to time or even when the user makes a TAU. What do you think? Have you ever seen this kind of implementation?

Hi,

What about TAC lock method, it could generate TAC border problem.

I think can use SPID to limit mobility of FWA UE, let it camp on a specific frequency.

2 Likes

SPID based for NSA and RFSP based for SA.

2 Likes

Thanks all.

Have you guys any experience with mobility control in FWA?

The question is how to inhibit the user mobility (or nomadic behavior) in FWA networks.

A MNO is implementing a PCI lock on the CPE.

But in my opinion it’s hard to implement since it’s a per-CPE approach.

I thought it could be better to implement a LADN but since the TAs would be wide maybe it’s a questionable approach as well.

How do you implement such control?

An idea would be to install the FWA antenna in a good dominance area.

It is a survey matter, then there will be no mobility topic.

So for FWA antenna there is something like 10-20 meters available perhaps more.

Idea is to avoid installing FWA antenna in overlapping area.

Yeas, that’s one of the problems.

If you plan to sell the CPE as self installing, there’s no garantee that the user would be able to perform a survey in order to choose the best place to put the CPE.

In the other hand, if you need to send a technician to do the installation everytime, it would generate an unnecessary and prohibited cost to deploy.

The MNO are planning to sell the nomadic service as a SVA.

There is a mobility group feature in Nokia, which you can use SPID and differentiate FWA users from others. As already said by other experts here.

And assign specific mobility thresholds for that SPID, but this requires Core network support.

And if your FWA has some mobility it does not have dominance.

Also what kind of mobility you refer here?

During the installation of FWA, field test is done and 1 dominant PCI is to be found by changing the direction of FWA.

Yeah!

I thougth that could be a good approach.

To use some kind of feature to limit the mobility.

But it is a vendor specific feature, isn’t it?

All vendors should have SPID feature.

Just check Mobility Profile with SPID.

What I can understand FWA over FR 2 site here mobility indicates may be FR 2 FWA HO to nearby FR1 cell so it kind of user experience degradation.

Very good point, now FR2 mmwawe would have more than 7 km distance with very high speed, but if FWA device ping pongs to FR1, this is an issue.

Best solution is to lock device to one frequency from RAN part, without feature or physical optimization it is very difficult to solve that.

Agree. The main objective is to allow the MNO to sell the nomadic service as a SVA.

Regarding the dominance matter, in an urban area with apartments, the such dominance is harder to achieve.

It will be possible to have a dominant PCI in the kitchen and another one in the bedroom.

So you should have some degradation due to HO.

That’s what I thought too.

But I thought FWA has a fix antenna (outside or at the window) and then a router with WiFi.

So FWA antenna would be very much fixed, why would anyone would move it from kitchen to bedroom when there is wifi from it in the house?

I have exactly the same question.

FWA is fixed device, provides internet inside the home wifi.

Not in every cases.

Nowadays you have a lot of CPEs with internal antenna and an incorporated WiFi router.

So the equipment is portable and easy to move.