Horizontal Antennas Use Cases

Hello dear Experts,

Do you have any experience to share about Horizontal Antennas use?

Aimed for large vertical coverage.

Low gain horizontal beam antenna for high rise building.
We can say static MIMO.

But that can be achieved through SSB, right?
And 3D beamforming.

Yep, this is what I’ve seen so far.
Been around for a few years actually.

It is used in Events like this:

By Altice Portugal, formerly Portugal Telecom.

Vertical Beam sweeping is more prominent in FR2, and I belive the above Antennas might be for FR1 or LTE.

Also for FR2 antennas are in Square shape and usually the just need to be tilted for Vertical or horizontal beam sweeping.

I’m just curious if these antennas - due to the way they’re installed - are not affecting each other negatively.

For a TDD system (all signals on the same band), the Tx power of one antenna will become Rx power of the antennas nearby.

Are these active antennas?

Nope. Passive antennas.

Never seen such antenna layout in field.
If we put antenna horizontal, then what about coverage of antenna?
How to control side lobes interference?

It’s common in areas with very high subscriber density which is spread in vertical direction like multiple high-rise buildings.
These antenna should have low gain to maintain least overlaps over sectors of other BTS and installed where AAS is not deployed.
AAS got it’s foundation from the same antenna topologies, mostly deployed for high load situation.

Thanks @Usman, understood.
Just thinking how to control tilt here… :slight_smile:

Any further details on solution like Vendor, Antenna Types, etc…?

Vendor is Huawei, i don’t know the model.

Photo 2 appears to be Kathrein Antennae which was recently acquired by Ericsson. Photo 2 appears to be trying to emulate a multi-beam coverage footprint that would be conducive to serving a tall structure. You basically are using the vertical pattern (likely 5 to 7 degrees) to slice the structure into multiple zones of service. The horizontal pattern satisfies serving the elevation component of the structure. Appears these have mechanical electrical tilt (MET) control with that signature Kathrein weather covering. Photo 1 appears to again be attempting to create even more zones of service MET is present on all but one antenna that has an tilt actuator not cabled (2nd from the top). Antenna manufacturers today realizing the maturity of network deployments are now addressing form factors that address non-standard installation demands. Both Photo 1 & 2 might have very well been a deployment that applied traditional antenna inventory to a specialized coverage demand. RF “Out of the Box” Engineering on display!

Yep, photo 2 looks a lot like Kathrein 80010510V01. Datasheet attached. These are normal 1800MHz, 65° HPBW XXPanels. So each panel can do 4x4 MIMO.
80010510V01.pdf (820.0 KB)

I guess it makes sense to deploy them horizontally if you need to cover a tall building from a short distance. -but it does look odd :slight_smile:

Risk here is that the intended orientation of this product anticipated condensation moisture weeping from the antenna base. Would hope that thought was considered to “carefully” penetrating the radome so that this condition was mitigated.

In situations where the interest is to take advantage of the wide opening of the horizontal diagram of irradiation of the antennas, compared to the reduced opening of the vertical diagram, to promote the coverage of high buildings in a certain neighborhood, we should also mention the use of inverted antennas, when we obtain more capacity of UPTIL without major adaptations and expenses with infrastructure.
I’ve used it and work very well.

1 Like