Duration of Coreset and monitoringSymbolsWithinSlot of searchspace

Hi,

While simulating PDCCH occasion symbol in page PDCCH assignment,
I have some confuse due to ‘Coreset duration’ and ‘Searchspace monitoringSymbolsWithinSlot’.

It seems like the coreset duration is counted by setting 1 symbol in monitoringSymbolsWithinSlot.

Over here, my question is what is a difference bw below combinations? Both conbinations have same 2 PDCCH symbols occassion.
A. Coreset duration 1 + MonitoringSymbolsWithinSlot 11000000000000
B. Coreset druation 2 + MonitoringSymbolsWithinSlot 10000000000000

If i set “A” option, NW configured 1 symbol for PDCCH, however, UE need to monitor 2 symbols inevitably?

Duration of Coreset and monitoringSymbolsWithinSlot of searchspace
Image source: PDCCH assignment

@bombom
3GPP allows for multiple occurance of the CORESET in the same slot starting from different symbols within the slot but all with same duration
Each 1 in the MonitoringSymbolsWithinSlot bitmap represent the starting symbol for the coreset which lasts for Coreset duration

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for reply and comment for difference bw Coreset duration and Searchspace MonitoringSymbolsWithinSlot.

Would you add comment for difference bw upper Option “A” and “B” configuration?
Both configuration have same 2 PDCCH symbol monitoring situation.

Assuming all the other parameters are same in the 2 options, i believe options A and B are identical

However, In my setup,

Option A has higher DL throughput is configured. That is why i post this.

In Option B, i have to change SLIV(Start symbol : 1 → 2) by conflict with CORESET
In Option A, there is no conflict even on Start symbol 1.

I have to disagree with @O.B here. Option A and Option B are not the same.

Option A => Coreset duration 1 + MonitoringSymbolsWithinSlot 11000000000000 → Coreset duration is only 1 symbol but it can start at symbol 0 or 1 as per the configured monitoring symbols.

Option B => Coreset duration 2 + MonitoringSymbolsWithinSlot 10000000000000 → Coreset duration is 2 symbols and it can only start at symbol 0. Meaning, whenever coreset is configured for the UE, it is always of the duration of 2 and starts at symbol 0.

Assuming only one coreset is configured per slot for the UE during the throughput test, option A always has a gain of 1 symbol that can be used for PDSCH over option B (An intelligent scheduler would schedule the coreset in symbol 0 in option A). So, it’s understandable that option A has higher throughput.

1 Like

Thank you Pradeep for your detailed analysis.

" option A always has a gain of 1 symbol that can be used for PDSCH over option B (An intelligent scheduler would schedule the coreset in symbol 0 in option A)"

Would you add comment if my understand is right?

If i set option A, NW can configure CORESET to symbol0 or symbol1.
However, in efficienct way, NW will configure CORESET to symbol0 w/ duration1. Then symbol1 could be configurable for PDSCH?

If upper understand right, is it possible NW configure CORESET for both symbol0 and symbol1 in option A?

Just to extend discussion a bit, in which scenario you have seen better DL throughput? Are you using static AGG levels or dynamic, and mobility is high in your network? or you did static measurement?
Thanks

From 3GPP 38.213 section 10.1
a PDCCH monitoring pattern within a slot, indicating first symbol(s) of the CORESET within a slot for PDCCH monitoring, by monitoringSymbolsWithinSlot

A UE does not expect any two PDCCH monitoring occasions on an active DL BWP, for a same search space set or for different search space sets, in a same CORESET to be separated by a non-zero number of symbols that is smaller than the CORESET duration.

@bombom
If you are interested to visualize, you can play with PDCCH assignment tool on NRexplained

1 Like

In my lab test, DL PHY of NW was higher on option A. Of cousre static scheduling.

Higher tput reason was by more Symbols are alloacated.
In option B, due to conflict bw PDSCH and CORESET, smaller symbols was used.

My question/point is,
Both A and B are using 2 PDCCH symbol, however, why only Option B occur conflict bw PDSCH and CORESET.

Hi @O.B ,

Thank you for reply.

I have tried on NRexplained like previously i posted it, however, couldn’t find a difference on this page

From your comment below,
It seems like Both symbol0 and symbol1 can’t be used for CORESET at that same time.
Only symbol0 or Only symbol1 can be used. Then, it makes sense.

Please comment if my understand is wrong.

"
A UE does not expect any two PDCCH monitoring occasions on an active DL BWP, for a same search space set or for different search space sets, in a same CORESET to be separated by a non-zero number of symbols that is smaller than the CORESET duration.
"

Thats what i said before

This is not true. Both symbols will be used for both options.

What I meant is that the configuration of Coreset duration 2 + MonitoringSymbolsWithinSlot 11000000000000 is invalid because it overlap the PDCCH monitoring occasions

It seems you have 1 UE
If you have more UEs, then both options will likely give similar throughput

@O.B
Thank you for reply in detail. I get understand now.

1 Like