Driverless 5G-enabled vehicles. Is it a hype?

Network vendors are in not quite happy considering their R&D in 5G.
Only Huawei is rocking in terms on budgets and income.
Handset industry had their worst quarter (maybe also due to covid-19).
Operators are still to find a way to monetize properly 5G.
End user is still looking ta 5G and doesn’t properly understand why/where/when he needs 5G.

People like even this: :rofl:

Handset industry should be happy:

Well, Qualcomm have good royalties no matter what due to their early patents in any technology.
But look also at other vendors like Samsung, Ericsson, Nokia, SEM, LG, etc

5G is real. Might not be technically worth it. But will sell.

Just look at following table and you will understand that throughput gain in 5G compared to 4G is not so much.

Yet, not technically worth it yet!
Every time the “next G” comes in we have to put some effort to justify it, but eventually it really makes it useful.

Yes @marcengo, I agree!

Also agree, for now !

Having that table in mind, even DSS for me is a bit of non-sense.
If PRBs are not used in 4G will not be used in 5G either.
So DSS is more about the 5G icon on screen than a real usage of it.

Key technical gain is to extended UL on scenarios with higher NR carriers, like 3.5 and mmWave.
Other than that, yes, icon porpoises.

Yes, true - this will help indeed.
But end user doesn’t know this, he just see 5G icon on screen and expects high throughput.
And that throughput doesn’t come easy as he expects.

There are other factors which are not properly covered here, like, effective spectrum availability on bands which were used by LTE, which surely depends on the country and operator, also the maximum aggregated BW.

I agree with you that at this moment, 5G had more focus on marketing than other reasons, but, this is too simplistic on my understanding.

I agree that everyone would like to have 5G on towers.

For 100 MHz, why would anyone like to keep 5 x 20 MHz RRUs on tower (i.e. 5RRUs) when he can have 1 single AAU of 5G on 100 MHz bandwidth in FR1?

Agreed it will not perceive he is using DSS.
The only scenario I see the user may perceive it, is if is on UL cell edge with poor DL through while the 5G icon is on due to UL sucking ass and limiting everything.

We had a discusion few day ago: when NR is activated power of UE in uplink will divide between NR and LTE.
So instead fo 23 dBm in LTE users will be capped to 20 dBm in NR and 20 dBm in LTE.
This will seriously impact link budget for VoLTE in uplink in indoor.

Huawei and Ericsson have good workaround for this. Don’t know how Nokia and Samsung is handling this.

Unless UE supports DynamicPowerSharing this will be a problem.

DPS is available and well.

Even for old modems like x50?
I have a xiaomi mix mi3 5G that i think it does not support it because it has x50 modem.

Vendor can implement workarounds as you said, I see no issue with this.

Another topic (that end users will NOT love it…) is that most of current NSA only capable phones will be obsolete within 1-2 years once SA will be deployed almost everywhere.
There are over 25 millions 5G NSA only smartphone sold in this world, what do you think those users will say about 5G when they can’t use their smartphones anymore in 5G after 1-2 years due to SA deployment?

The version I have for Nokia, they prevent PSCELL addiiton, but if NR is active, they dont remove it.
I believe they will improve the feature in the feature.