Compare Voice Traffic between CS and OTT

Hi Experts.

If I want to compare Voice Traffic between CS and OTT.

Anyone has idea about how do it?

If I have CS Traffic in Erlang and OTT in Data Volume.

Admin note: this post was updated with image below.

1 Like

Hi all.

Does anyone know a public study of how much OTT traffic growth in the past years compared to VoLTE traffic?

I know that OTT overtook VoLTE but I am not sure of the magnitude.

I know for sure that all teenagers use ONLY OTTs.

They never call in VoLTE.

I believe 10-15 years from now VoLTE will be obsolete as very few people will still use it.

1 Like

Hmmm.

VoLTE is comparatively new in some countries.

But surprised that its being overtaken already.

1 Like

Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, Skype, Line, Viber, Google Talk etc.

1 Like

It’s other way round in Pakistan.

We had all these services and recently launched VoLTE.

1 Like

Usually operators knows those figures (OTTs vs VoLTE) but they keep things in secret as they do not like results.

At least this is how it works in Europe.

1 Like

VoLTE trend started here to cater the CSFB issues especially during COVID times. U have a hot stop on 4G and any inocking call would fall u back to 3G/2G resulting in service experience issues on hotspot…

Plus you don’t earn in OTTs as compared to VoLTE… OTT is always cheap.

So voilá VOLTE

1 Like

Actually you cannot force users to use VoLTE since they fancy OTTs.

That’s the point, all teenagers, up to 20 yrs old, use in majority OTTs.

They don’t care about VoLTE because they share files, picture, emoticons etc.

This is something one cannot do in VoLTE.

It is even more complicated since nowadays teenagers save their contacts on Google account not anymore on SIM card.

1 Like

Yes, that’s true!

1 Like

That’s right there is a major shift in user behaviour now people specially teenagers are using OTT quite often as compared to VoLTE services.

Even I am also using WhatsApp group call quite often with my team.

But OTT service is not reliable, its over IP so usually no commitment of service…

All you get at end of WhatsApp call is how was your experience.

I don’t think rating it bad results in any followup.

I know companies using internally Telegram groups and messages instead of emails and meeting rooms.

It is amazing.

And this happens in an open RAN company :grinning:

Yes they do. Some prefer WhatsApp, some prefer emails.

But WhatsApp is too much junk as well for work.

VoLTE is also not aguarantee for quality.

In all your years of experience how many VoLTE calls you have seen released due to bad quality?

None, just RTP timeout that is 20 seconds without any RTP packet.

Like i said, VOLTE is new here so not much experience :stuck_out_tongue:

Usually users hang up long before those 20 seconds.

All you can do is to play with out of sync timers and constants N310,T310.N311,T311 for QCI1.

But that doesn’t help much because operators care less about qualilty of experience and more about KPIs.

So no one wants to easily release VoLTE calls when degraded.

It can be released early if 2G coverage is good…

VoLTE uses more control resources, and requires additional infrastructure IMS so yes it is costly.

But telecom operators have to guarantee voice service without interruption.

OTT can work only if both users are connected to good quality internet.

But VoLTE allows to call any user connected to the network.

Maybe once there is good quality internet in every corner of the world, VoLTE will lose out.

One thing that gets me, is that OTT voice call usually (not all times) have good quality, even in bad RF conditions.

I can’t say the same for VoLTE or CS, even when is QoS configured

But until regulation changes and voice services are considered as secondary, scenario won’t change much.

OTT is largely unregulated everywhere…

Initially ISP wanted its voice service to be regulated but it didn’t happen due to conflict with net neutrality principles.

And that’s why international WhatsApp calls are free while charge of a ISD voice call is still very high compared to a STD call.

The internet still functions the same as it was invented…

Selling ads to keep it free.

Now it’s more like selling personal data of the users to third parties without informed consent.

The solution is Web 3.0.

Slowly, services on internet will come for a price.

Like for example ChatGPT. It will kill free search on Google. But it will also cost 20$ per month.

Twitter started to charge for blue tick.

In web 3, you cannot trace and track the customer and cannot monetize his/her data.

But then, you need to pay for services on web 3.

This picture takes us to web 3:

You know why?

In web 2.0, if we want to sell clothes, we hire a model whom we know is very popular in the audience.

So, the decision of the customer to buy clothes is influenced by the model. Instead of deciding on the quality of the clothes, the buyer decides if his/her favourite model is seen in the catwalk or in the ad.

In web 3.0, its pseudonymous.

You dont know who is the buyer. And you dont know who is the seller.

You sell your product on its quality.

And buyer buys… and leaves… you dont know the age, religion, ethnicity, gender, location, marital status, sexual orientation etc about the customer.

Internet was always supposed to be like this.

Somewhere in between… Google, Facebook etc started to track, trace and profile the buyers and sell their data to merchants.