5G Trials Set To Begin In India And You Could Be Using 5G On Your Phone Very Soon

Huawei out of the equation in India for the trial. Reliance Jio with indigenous network.

The list of telecom gear makers approved for trials include Ericsson, Nokia, Samsung, C-DOT and Reliance Jio’s indigenously developed technologies.

Telecom operators will also be permitted to use their existing spectrum (800 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz and 2500 MHz) for conduct of the 5G trials.
“The duration of the trials, at present, is for a period of 6 months. This includes a time period of 2 months for procurement and setting up of the equipment,” DoT said.
The permission letters specify that each TSP will have to conduct trials in rural and semi-urban settings in addition to urban settings so that the benefit of the 5G technology proliferates across the country and is not confined only to urban areas, the statement said.

Already trial ongoing with DSS.
Any idea for 5G trial? which all city selected?

Who is doing DSS?

4 Metros.

Ok is it NSA or SA trial?
I read now operators planning to go for direct deployment due to 5G already delayed.

There are Both.

The TSPs are encouraged to conduct trials using 5Gi technology in addition to the already known 5G Technology. It will be recalled that International Telecommunications Union (ITU) has also approved the 5Gi technology, which was advocated by India, as it facilitates much larger reach of the 5G towers and Radio networks.The 5Gi technology has been developed by IIT Madras, Centre of Excellence in Wireless Technology (CEWiT) and IIT Hyderabad.
Interesting part of trial.
Anyone here part of 5Gi?

What is it?

I think that 5GI is an Indian internal attempt to promote their 5G.
Even though they’re a huge market, I think it’s waste of time.
They wanted to come up with their own 5G specs.

Do you have any link or doc where we can study more about 5Gi?

I guess not exactly waste of time, as some proposals are catered to Indian regions. As an example pi/2 BPSK in UL which gives lower PAPR can be used in rural areas which can have larger cell radius but not requiring very high throughput. In that area Spec changes in 3GPP were recommended by one professor in IIT Hyderabad.

I guess adding/contributing to existing specs from 3GPP is very fine.
But my take is that there’s some politics here as well.
Carrying a parallel spec for 5G is a tough call.
Who is going to implement 2 versions of 5G?

I was working on TSDSI docs sometime back, which had proposed 5Gi.

Correct new standards depends on Vendors interest also.
And moreover political agenda also influences it.

Yup, instead of putting Tower at 6 km, with new technology we can increase distance to 11 km.
But it will definitely reduce T’put.

Great :+1:
Can you tell little more about TSDSI?

A question is: if it’s something worthwhile having in 5G, why not to propose it on 3gpp?
Based on my limited understanding, 3gpp would never oppose to features that would mprove 5G service levels.
It smells politics to me.

I think new standard developed for Smart City, Industry 4.0 use cases.

Something that’s so unique that only exists in India?
Not even in China?

Even it required new chipset evolution as well.
I mean new handsets in Market.

Yes, this I can understand.
New specs would demand new providers.
If there’s not many OEMs from outside, this would implicate India would have to develop lot of stuff internally.
If the idea is to foster internal industry, it makes sense (even though it’s on a different direction of the rest of the World).
But technically speaking, its a tough pill to swallow.

Let’s see where it go, but if it’s IIT mind behind then it will work sooner or later :+1:

I have at least a dozen of IIT minds on my team here in the US working for 3GPP specs.
It’ll be driven by politicians, not engineers.
Take my note over there. :slight_smile: We’ll see!

TSDSI website has.