What is the difference between 5GC and 4G Core?

Anyone working here on 5G core?
Is there really a difference in the functionality of 5GC and 4G core?
I mean what are the functionalities that can only be achieved in 5GC?

Consider me as a non core professional when you reply i.e. layman terms of telecom.

1 Like

Major is functionality separation between CP and UP functions.
What kind of details are you looking for?

If you want basic understanding and comparison and migration go with below link, by @Tech_Playon:

Few key aspects that makes 5G Core totally differ with 4G Core:

• Service based architecture (SBA)
    .- 5G core network is based on what is called “Service-Based Architecture” (SBA), centered on services that can register themselves and subscribe to other services. This enables a more flexible development of new services, as it becomes possible to connect to other components without introducing specific new interfaces.
  • Cloud Nativeness using Containerization/Micro services
    .- All NFs are developed as small set of microservices that you can pick, choose and deploy based on service specific requirement. No need to deploy the whole code base.
  • Network Slicing
    .- For the 5G network, operators are supposed to deliver diversified services where one enterprise customer may require ultra-reliable service and other may need high bandwidth communication or low latency. Therefore 5G network needs to be architecture and designed to be able to offer a different mix of capabilities to meet all these customer requirements at the same time on a common physical infrastructure. Network slicing enables that flexibility on the network.
  • Stateless network functions
    .- Stateless means the network functions does not store any state information locally and use external database to store and retrieve state information based on client request. This improves redundancy and high availability in the network.
  • Unified Database for all access
    .- One common data for both 3GPP, non-3GPP access types
  • Wireless Wireline Convergence
    .- Common Converged Core to support both Wireline and Wireless services
  • Control and User Plane Separation (Enhancement on 4G Core)
    .- This function as introduced even for 4G Core however for 5G Core it is further enhanced with new features on SMF and UPF such as LADN/ULCL/ SSC Modes etc.
2 Likes