What are the main trends to watch at MWC 2024?

What are the main trends to watch at MWC 2024?

The technologies and developments on show in Barcelona typically define the major themes and priorities across technology industries — meaning it’s crucial for those working in this space to stay informed.
In this free video presentation, we have run through the main trends and dynamics you should be keeping an eye out for from MWC24, including:

:signal_strength: Operator & GSMA’s Open Gateway Developments
:speaking_head: Keynote Speakers
:robot: AI at EDGE & AI for Telco Operations
:brain: Telcos GenAI for Enterprises
🛜 5G & Beyond
:wave: Visions for 6G: Sensing & Mobile XR
:artificial_satellite: Satellites & Non-Terrestrial Network
:iphone: Concept Devices
:anguilla: AI on Devices
:watch: Other AI Devices: Wearables & Assistants
:goggles: Spatial Computing: Smart Glasses, Apple’s Vision Pro
:recycle: Sustainability

Dear Friends & Colleagues,
I will be attending MWC in Barcelona this year. If you want to meet up, don’t be shy; reach out, and let’s have some great conversations about our industry challenges and their possible solutions.

See you there!

Watch our video will full highlights !

Key takeaways from MWC2023 (last year):

1. Private Networks:
    The excitement around private networks was palpable. Everyone who is anyone wants to do something with it. And although all reports point to a growing market, the players in this area are yet to see a sizeable scalable market.
    Plus- WiFi is trying to match whatever private cellular is trying to offer. Will be a good match to watch in the coming days.

2. Edge computing:
    Lot of startups have made a play in this space especially targeting work around orchestration of workloads around private or public clouds. Big players of course have a slew of offerings.
    Eg: Aarna, Avarsa, Alef, HPE, NetCracker etc.

3. AI/ML:
    Saw a lot of practical implementations of AI/ML tech in the networking and wireless space. Moving on from using such tech for predicting faults, the next step is closed loop automation. Other use cases that I saw included beam selection algorithms, handover algo’s etc.
    Again lot of startups making their entry here- Deepsig, Aira etc.

4. OpenRAN:
    Gaining traction and causing tension too. The technology is on many vendor’s agenda but I heard complaints on integration issues to be tackled. It is quite clear that telcos are planning to use RIC for most openRAN operations

5. AR/VR:
    It seems to me that AR/VR is now starting to make its way into mainstream play. Not only Meta but lot of other operators and vendors were showcasing their AR/VR applications (some of them touting it as Metaverse).

6. 6G (please read before judging me :grin: )
    The whole concept of 6g is just being defined but some vendors and operators had showcase demos for the tech. I personally experienced the haptics use case which was nice.

7. API
    The exposure of 5G functionality through common APIs will enable operators to leverage new ways to monetize 5G.
    Orange, Telefónica, and Vodafone, in collaboration with Ericsson and Vonage demonstrated how advanced mobile network functionality can be exposed and consumed by the global developer community.

8. NTN
    A ‘satellite’ based mobile network connectivity has been talked about for some years now. In fact, requirements for NTN i.e. Non Terrestrial Networks were included in[3GPP Release 15 with some more additions for specific implementations in Release 17/18. There were talks around chipsets and specific implementations aspects.

Linkedin: :point_down:

Thank you!