UE system bandwidth 100 MHz to 20 MHz

NR UEs have the 100 MHz capability for FR1. Then per my understanding when these UEs perform initial access upon power up they should be able to transmit/receive on 100 MHz. This UE post connection can switch bwp and operate in 20 MHz following the concept of bandwidth part switching.

A reduced capability UE which is referred to in NR has lower BW capabilities say 20 MHz. So they may only transmit receive over this 20 MHz bandwidth. Some questions here I am thinking about

1- assume we have the 100 MHz capable UE and they may do bwp switching for power saving, is that the same as having a 20 MHz UE to start with? In the former case, the UE is only allowed to go to second reduced bandwidth post connection. Would power savings be the same for the two cases.

2- realistically, can we have a UE with two capabilities of 100 MHz and 20 MHz. Note that this is different than having 100 MHz UE and being able to switch to smaller bandwidth part of 20 MHz.

Appreciate your insights

Can anyone help please?

assume we have the 100 MHz capable UE and they may do bwp switching for power saving, is that the same as having a 20 MHz UE to start with? → I didn’t get the question exactly. But nevertheless, as long as the default bwp is same for 100MHz UE and 20MHz UE, UE will decode the same CORESET with same PDCCH monitoring periodicity (in general, it doesn’t need to be the case. Since bwp configuration is UE specific, the 20MHz UE can be configured with a default bwp with much lesser bandwidth). So, the number of times UE has to wake up to decode the PDCCH will be same and the PRBs to decode are also same. So, we can say that power consumption would be same.

realistically, can we have a UE with two capabilities of 100 MHz and 20 MHz. → Theoritically, it is possible. Although I am yet to see a UE with only 20MHz bandwidth capability for 5G.

1 Like