Simulator for 5G New Radio networks

Hi Experts,

Simu5G is the evolution of the popular SimuLTE 4G network simulator that incorporates 5G New Radio access.
Based on the OMNeT++ framework, it is written in C++ and is fully customizable with a simple pluggable interface. One can also develop new modules implementing new algorithms and protocols.

7 Likes

My and my PhD student currently experimenting with several open 5G platforms for research. Will definitely include this in our development as well. Thanks for sharing this initiative.

@GIOVANNI_STEA, I usually use Matlab or Octave. Is it convenient for you to post a link of minimal working example using the OMNET 5G simulator so that it is easier to start using this platform.

Hi,

sorry for the delay – hectic times.

The following resources are available:

• http://www.simu5g.org. In the download there are ready-made examples of network scenarios. You may also want to take a look at the “guides” section. You can also download a VM with Simu5G on.
  • You may want to take a look at our papers, notably the one on IEEE Access (here: IEEE Xplore Full-Text PDF: – it is an open-access publication, so it’s free for download). In that paper, you can find a “related work” section detailing the differences between Simu5G and physical layer simulators (since you said you use Matlab or Octave, I am assuming you may be more familiar with the latter), as well as a thorough description of the modeling approach of Simu5G.
  • If you need to take a step back and become familiar with OMNeT++ first, the OMNeT++ website has tutorials that can guide you step by step towards running simulations with OMNeT++. Once you are familiar with the IDE and the philosophy, then understanding Simu5G will become quite easy.

Do not hesitate to contact me (or my coauthors) if we can be of assistance.

Ciao

Giovanni