RAN Funtional Split : Option 2,6 and 7-2X

Hi,

I am learning OpenRAN/CloudRAN/4G/5GNR.

Among all these Option 2,6 and 7-2X,

1. Which one is challenging in rollout ?
  2. Purpose of each Option (Low Latency / eMBB)
  3. Risks / Challenges / known issues if any
  4. Strong vendors in each of these cases ?
  5. Data Rate of the Split Interface and the technology if the interface (CPRI /eCPRI) etc.

PW-FuSpit

Lower you go in where you do the split in the NR stack, higher are the transport requirements in terms of bandwidth and latency, but higher is also the gains related to inter-site coordination, like CoMP.

On 3GPP R15 only Option 2 is standardized, the lower splits are open for vendor implementation. Not sure on which the “open” initiatives are working on, maybe someone else can comment.

The “tradicional vendors” are all present here, Huawei, Nokia, Ericsson, ZTE, Samsung, but the new guys from the virtualized/open solutions are starting to present its teeth to bite some slices of the market share, like Altiostar-Techmahindra, Parallelwireless, etc…

Thank you @marcengo Thiago,

What I understood in some of the posts , lower the transport bandwidth will be higher.
Can you point me a URL where I can understand the Transport impact for each layer.

I believe the MIMO/Coding schemes/Bandwidth of the carrier also plays major role in Transport need.
I am still struggling to find one good source to read these relationship.

How the Lower Split can impact CoMP ? Please provide me some directions.

TR 38.801 will give you a very good reference :slight_smile:

Please chek this also: What are 5G different functional split options? And why we need it?

Could you please provide the title of this publication, where this table is from?