OpenAirInterface Software Alliance Commits to Provide Full 5G Software Stack

This announcement from the OpenAirInterface Software Alliance on their upcoming open source software for #5G infrastructure, with RAN and Core stacks for NSA and SA, will probably take many by surprise.

“… the OSA has an aggressive 5G software roadmap: the end to end Non-Stand-Alone (NSA) 5G stack as well as the core network is taking final shape and will be delivered end of Q3 2020. The OSA will deliver a 5G core network and Stand-Alone (SA) 5G RAN stack by the end of Q4 2020, making it the first and only end-to-end 5G software that is fully functional and allows commercial 5G devices to attach to the network.”

https://www.openairinterface.org/?news=press-item-the-openairinterface-software-alliance-commits-to-provide-full-5g-software-stack-by-december-2020

Admin note: this post was updated with image below.
gNB - CU and DU

1 Like

This is indeed breaking news for all of us and bad news for traditional vendors.

Who’s member of this Alliance?
I think 3gpp already has some of this defined.

Nokia, Ericsson and Samsung are members of open RAN.
Huawei and ZTE are not.

OSA follows 3GPP standard…
The big “thing” here is open source software.
For RAN and CN software stack.

1 Like

However leaders in open RAN are Parallel Wireless, Altiostar, Mavenir etc and also Samsung is pretty much advanced accomplishing all MNO demands.

Hi Experts.
I was wondering - so many famous handful vendors we speak about - in your expert exposure as in open forum - whom do you all think will earn as in revenue, or let me put it this way - how do you see operator’s revenue growth while there is a shift of digitisation - cinemas are in your OTTs, Education being smart, and many MVNOs in gameplay.
Any comments?

MNOs will definitely be the winners here as open RAN will decimate their costs for opex and capex.

I’m just curious. :wink:
What made not possible following specs before for any vendor (open or not)?
Specs are open, isn’t it?

Open Ran has new standard interfaces that are not included in 3gpp.
For example traditional vendors would like to use option 2 for 5gc whereas MNO would like to use other options like 4 or 7.
So MNOs asked open RAN to do it. Vpdafone launched an rfq for 100000 enodeB of open RAN to swap the whole Europe.
So there is a major risk for traditional vendors.

Yes, exactly!

Ericsson, Nokia and Samsung understood the risk and joined open RAN aiming to develop oran products in the future.
Huawei refused to join open RAN.

I’ve a doubt regarding scope for vRan & cRAN.
In terms of capex means, 5G requires more number of gNb, so these 2 will be the upcoming future?

I don’t think it is open source.
It is about open interfaces and removing vendor lock-in.

O-RAN is about the open interface… OSA wants to release an Open source stack.

“The OSA sits at a strategic spot of choice in this 5G ecosystem, producing end-to-end 5G software that runs on general purpose servers in a cloud-native environment. The OSA is working to release a complete 3GPP Release 15 5G stack by the end of 2020. The OSA builds open source software for all components of the 5G stack that allows for deployment of a low-cost 5G network on general purpose hardware and cloud servers. This software is available royalty free for use to any party that wishes to use it as a research and development platform to investigate and explore 5G technology. Potential vendors who wish to build 5G solutions from a comprehensive and complete open source stack can also use the OSA software as a starting point for building their commercial solutions. The OSA software is distributed under the OAI Public License V1.1 that allows for commercial use and distribution of that software with no copyright fees, and the right to any contributor patents under Fair and Non-Discriminatory license terms.”

Do we need to be member of OSA to access this software?

That is a very good question.
I don’t think you need to be a company to be member.
For research, the model will be royalty-free.
Today most of the OpenRAN players are building their solutions in the top of the FlexRAN SDK.
Not sure how OSA will play on this environment since they comment on O-RAN and TIP in the announcement.

Is FlexRAN ran software layers L2+ matured to be used at product level?

I believe so.
Market talks about a performance gap, but the OpenRAN vendors are addressing those gaps inside O-RAN and TIP.
Example is the O-RAN 7.2x interface to move processing of Layer 1 related to Beamforming to the RU and there is already a large sign of adoption for 7.2x for next year.
That will enable Massive-MIMO product in the OpenRAN ecosystem.

O-RAN compliant to 7.2x and OpenRAN. :point_down:

1 Like

Hi. Does this split used eCPRI?
What is option 8? Is it for O-RAN only?