Open source tool to parse PCAP files and extract certain messages like SIP

Hello Experts.

Does anyone has an open source tool that parses PCAP files and extract certain messages like SIP?

Open source tool to parse PCAP files and extract certain messages like SIP

Hello dear,

Any specific format for the file?

No specific type.
I need this to give a task to my interns, both to explore protocol formats and develop software.

You need to develop software to parse the protocol data.

That would be great, I need a base.

Then they put something more, like grouping the same call ids, counting error codes etc.

AGILITY by B-Yond, there’s a free community version :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t recommend it. Inneffective and you will be spammed everyday to purchase upgrade. Look at Viavi and Netscout offerings.

@CableWiFi you definitely haven’t used AGILITY upgrades aren’t required. Absolutely free and does the job effectively.

Wrong, I’ve used it and it’s garbage. Viavi and Netscout have much better solutions. Do a little reaseach on the company and it’s founders and you’ll find out what kind of company is behind the vail.

Um, I’ve used AGILITY and it’s free, doesn’t ask you to upgrade, and it works really well. It even shows network slicing now :slight_smile:

Strange enough, none of the tools mentioned so far are actually open source.

Let me mention the obvious: Wireshark

Load your PCAP file into Wireshark and click on the “Telephony” menu. Here you can analyze SIP flows, see ladder diagrams and even listen to the calls if the audio codec is supported by your PC.

3 Likes