NSA-3x: UE Attach with 4G or 5G Cell ID?

Can anyone confirm me regards to 5G NSA 3x version deployment.
Will MME get same 4G Cell id recorded.? Since signalling is from EPC?.
The implementation vendor here states that cell ID will be of 4G whereas I have opinion that there should be some demarcation with regards to location

Query is: once the user attaches with EPC (5G) using NSA Architecture 3x, will it being 4G cell ID or 5G NR cell ID?
Since in 3x, signalling is via eNodeB, and data plane is of gNodeB.
Any idea?

It will be 4G

So how can show yo customer that it’s using 5G service?
I mean from system… specifically in IPDR records.

I’m not familiar with what IPDR means, but at NAS level you will be able to get the IEs on attach, also the capability exchange between eNodeB and MME.
It is very likely you will be able to monitor it on your GWs, since the termination point for S1-U will be the gNodeB.

Note: Somewhere in the HLR or PCRF you will have the restrictNR information as well, it may help You. RAN engineer here, sorry for being vague about CORE.:sweat_smile:

I know, but have to show to Intelligence teams (end user) from UGW/MME records.

The information must be there. In the GW records you probably can correlate a customer IP with the IP of the node where the traffic was generated, right?
You must have different IPs for eNB and gNB.

But there’s no records in IPDR node.

What about counters from the CN elements?
Do you have probes on your network?

Probes record don’t go to end user.
Internet Protocol Data Records (IPDR) do.

Well, then sounds like you may need an development in your IPDR solution.

Yes, that is what I have concluded. However,I’m still waiting for vendor to provide me with 3GPP specification for the same. So that it’s official statement.

1 Like

Hi please correct me if am wrong… If the UE supports dual connectivity with NR, then the UE must set the DCNR bit to “dual connectivity with NR supported” in the UE network capability IE of the Attach Request/Tracking Area Update Request message.

If the UE indicates support for dual connectivity with NR in the Attach Request/Tracking Area Update Request message, and the MME decides to restrict the use of dual connectivity with NR for the UE, then the MME sets the RestrictDCNR bit to “Use of dual connectivity with NR is restricted” in the EPS network feature support IE of the Attach Accept/Tracking Area Update Accept message.

If the RestrictDCNR bit is set to “Use of dual connectivity with NR is restricted” in the EPS network feature support IE of the Attach Accept/Tracking Area Update Accept message, the UE provides the indication that dual connectivity with NR is restricted to the upper layers.

If the UE supports DCNR and DCNR is configured on MME, and if HSS sends ULA/IDR with “Access-Restriction” carrying “NR as Secondary RAT Not Allowed”, MME sends the “NR Restriction” bit set in “Handover Restriction List” IE during Attach/TAU/Handover procedures. Similarly, MME sets the RestrictDCNR bit to “Use of dual connectivity with NR is restricted” in the EPS network feature support IE of the Attach Accept/Tracking Area Update Accept message. Accordingly, UE provides the indication that dual connectivity with NR is restricted to the upper layers.

The “Handover Restriction List” IE is present in the “Initial Context Setup Request” message for Attach and TAU procedure with data forwarding procedure, in the “Handover Required” message for S1 handover procedure, in the “Downlink NAS Transport” message for TAU without active flag procedure.

If you are interested, take a look at MR-DC (37.340), RRC (36.331), NAS (24.301), S1AP (36.413) and X2AP (36.423) to obtain the IEs and procedures related to your IPDR development.