NB-IOT experience

Hi experts!

What is your experience with nb-iot from business perspective in your country? Do you think it will survive or will be overtaken by upcoming 5G technology?

If someone has experience from own network, are you using PSM and eDRX? Whether they met the expectations?

Did someone test in-band vs guard band configuration?

Best Regards

Hello. I’m not working for a mobile network operator, but had the opportunity to test their NB-IoT coverage and network last year. From my observations, their playing safe with the marketing, hence the deployment is very slow and availability is also limited. I think the adoption of NB-IoT enabled devices will push the NB-IoT deployment in the future.

Their network with eDRX & PSM disabled, citing there’s no real demand from commercial device. Honestly, it’s a strange excuse to me.

We’re comparing the physical layer performance between NB-IoT with LoRa and SigFox. From our measurement, looks like LoRa has a slight advantage compare to NB-IoT.

1 Like

That is very strange. I don’t have experience with unlicensed LPWAN but think that measurement of just physical layer is not enough for any conclusion. The most importantant caracteristic of lpwan is robustness in bad coverage. In one test we succeeded to successfully transmit data to server when was RSRP=-139dBm and Ue was in Coverage Level 1 (CE2 didn’t work in that moment due to same issues with the feature). I can’t imagine that Lora or SigFox are capable of that. And not to mention interference in unlicenced spectrum…