Is it really hard to learn Power BI and DAX?

I have found a nice post in Linkedin, telling that learning DAX in Power BI is known to be difficult.

However, before diving into the complexities, there are some other skills you should brush up on first.

This will make your DAX simpler. You may find, most of the time, trying to write complex DAX is not needed.

It can be solved by knowing these skills better:

:star: STAR Schema

Still one of the most important concepts in Power BI!

:triangular_ruler: Data modelling

Taking the STAR Schema concept a little further, and learn the next steps of data modelling

Data modelling

:large_orange_diamond: Power Query

Some logic can be better handled in Power Query to optimise your queries. Learn some advanced Power Query!

:yellow_circle: Roche’s Maxim of Data Transformation

Why learn all these skills? Matthew Roche, Power BI CAT team and governance superstar, has created a principle to understand where to transform data. Pushing upstream may reduce the complexity of your DAX.
Learn what this means and why it is so important.

Roche’s Maxim of Data Transformation

:zap: Source

The source of this article was a post in LinkedIn:

2 Likes

Excellent, and that’s what I’ve always been saying.

Everyone thinks about learning Power BI (or for example a programming language) by watching a video on Youtube, and doing exactly the same*.

They forget the most important, at least the vast majority - the importance of data modeling!

It is always where there is the most resistance, and some even think that it is not necessary to study.

They end up, sooner or later, realizing that they should have done this, as they cannot make logical connections or correlations between the data, for example.

Anyway, congratulations for raising this issue, it can help a lot those who are starting.

* Note: I am not against learning from examples - for me, is the best way to get better, and start. However, ALSO learning the fundamentals is essential.

For those who use Power Query.

The M language

The Power Query M language, commonly referred to as “M,” is a powerful data transformation and data preparation language designed specifically for Microsoft’s Power Query, an ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) tool integrated into the Power BI, Excel, and other Microsoft products.

M was developed with the primary purpose of enabling users to clean, reshape, and combine data from various sources, facilitating the process of transforming raw data into meaningful insights. By leveraging the power of M, users can create custom functions, conditional columns, and advanced data transformations that go beyond the capabilities of traditional spreadsheet applications.