How to calculate the PRB Utilization?

How do you calculate the PRB Utilization?

Admin note: this post was updated with image below.

In practice PRB utilization might be high due to users located in bad radio conditions as these users will get low MCS = QPSK and take more resources in each TTI
So better to enhance SINR for the whole area to guarantee that PRB utilization are taken place for the actual traffic not for wasted PRB of poor Radio conditions area .

1 Like

Kindly send me the Lte red baseline parameter for Cell selection, reselection, and handover

Which vendor you are in bro ?

The vendor is Huawei

If i got your question right, simply dive average used RB in a cell by available RB in cell

L.ChMeas.PRB.DL.Used.Avg/L.ChMeas.PRB.DL.Avail

same counters are available for uplink

Thanks a lot Ali,

I was so useful information.

In our network use Eric and calculated as below:

PRB Utilisation DL = (pmPrbUsedDlBcch + pmPrbUsedDlPcch + pmPrbUsedDlFirstTrans + pmPrbUsedDlReTrans) / pmPrbAvailDl

Hope you find it useful.

BR//Hussam

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. What is the PRB Utilization formula for Nokia and Samsung?

Hi @Razi_Ahmed. Did you ever get an answer for your Nokia prb utilization kpi formula including counters names for Nokia ?
Thanks.

Please help with command to check PRB utilization using Amos (OSS).
Ericsson vendor.
I need a command to check this on Moshell.
During the day the speed is fine but in the evening is very slow.
Can this be due to traffic during the evening?

PRB will be close to 100% in both cases with 5 users or with 50 users. You need to check number of concurrent users.
This will tell you how many people share same pipe.
It is most likely due to many users and high traffic coming from each user during evening.

I don’t know for Ericsson, but in Huawei there is tracing function (in U2020) to show real-time PRB usage every 1s.
If command, it only show PRB used at the time you type the command, not whole trend.

So, even for Ericsson, I think check PRB used by command is not helpful. :frowning:

This is general trend if site is mainly is residential area.
People go to office during day and in evening when they return site gets busy.

You can use predefined performance reports on eNodeB.
Just type pmr.
Then choose eutrancellfdd.

LTE PRB Utilization is simple:

4G PRB Utilization = (No of used PRBs / No. Of available PRBs) x 100