How Networking Slicing is done in Open RAN using multi-vendors?

• My friend: Hi Ibrahim, I have a question for you.

• Me: Please, go ahead.
  • My friend: I was wondering how network slicing is implemented in open RAN using multi-vendors?

• Me: O-RAN Alliance enables network slicing to be realized with multi-vendors by configuring different network slices using different functions from different vendors. So, for example, O-RU (O-RAN Radio Unit) can be supplied from vendor A, while vO-DU (virtual O-RAN Distributed Unit) and vO-CU (virtual O-RAN Centralized Unit) can be from other two vendors like vendor B and vendor C and the network slicing is functioning smoothly between all vendors as everything is open, please check the below snapshot.
  • My friend: But what is the advantage of using multi-vendors in network slicing?

• Me: Because some vendors can have better performance when providing the eMBB slice then other vendors as its scheduler (inside the vO-DU) and the vO-CU can handle the eMBB service better than other vendors, the same can be applied for URLLC slice and so on. So, using slices from different vendors will give the operator the flexibility to select the vendor which will provide the best performance for each slice and that will maximize the whole network performance. Also, note that maybe not all slices required by the operator are available at one vendor, so here the operator can get different slices from different vendors to meet his service requirements.
  • My friend: These are good points, but are there any other benefits?

• Me: Yes, when RAN sharing is done between operators, so normally each operator will have different RAN vendor and so sharing the RAN equipment and resources for different operators can be complex. But, if multi-vendor environment was introduced, then it can relax restrictions among operators to share RAN equipment and resources. Also, this may help to expand the opportunities for reaching agreements of RAN sharing among operators. Moreover, by using RAN sharing, operators CAPEX and OPEX can be optimized which will help with additional investment opportunities.
  • My friend: Thank you so much. You made it very clear.

• Me: You are most welcome.

LinkedIn: Ibrahim Sayed, PMP on LinkedIn: #5g #5gnr #5gtechnology #openran #oran | 16 comments

4 Likes

How NR slice configuration is going for users?