Hack to Increase Mobile Internet 5G speed

• ๐—ก๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ฒ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ฟ ๐— ๐—ผ๐—ฏ๐—ถ๐—น๐—ฒ ๐—œ๐—ป๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐˜ ๐Ÿฑ๐—š ๐˜€๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ? Hereโ€™s a network hack that works! Enjoy unthrottled internet speeds on any Indian 5G carrier with this trick!

• Indian ISPs currently offer unlimited 5G internet with most limited 4G data packs/recharge plans. However, what they donโ€™t mention is that the 5G comes with a lot of network restrictions to ensure fair use of the resources.
  • ๐—™๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฒ๐˜…๐—ฎ๐—บ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฒ: On both Airtel and on Jio, as long as you browse normally on the mobile, your speeds will be just fine. However, if youโ€™d try to share the internet with a computer or to another phone (using hotspot sharing or tethering), the speeds will be throttled to anywhere between 2-30 Mbps.

• This was an issue for me as I wanted the โ€œTrue 5Gโ€ internet speeds but without literally paying anything, so I began my analysis and found that both these networks selectively throttle traffic thatโ€™s tethered.
  • ๐—›๐—ผ๐˜„ ๐—ฑ๐—ผ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ๐˜† ๐—ธ๐—ป๐—ผ๐˜„ ๐—ถ๐—ณ ๐—œโ€™๐—บ ๐˜๐—ฒ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด: Technically speaking, mobile carriers figure out that the device is tethering internet by examining TTL value on the packets.

• ๐—ช๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜โ€™๐˜€ ๐—ง๐—ง๐—Ÿ ๐˜ƒ๐—ฎ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฒ? Every network packet travelling across a TCP/IP network, like the internet, has a built-in time-to-live (TTL) set on it, so that in case there is a problem with that packet reaching its destination this will stop it travelling around the network forever clogging everything up.

• The way this works is that the packet starts with a TTL number (say 128) set on it when it leaves the sending device (your phone, or laptop), and then every time that packet travels through a router of any kind (like your home broadband router, or a router at your ISP) that router subtracts one from the TTL (which would decrement the TTL to 127 in this example), the next router it travels through will in turn decrement the TTL again, and so on; if the TTL ever reaches zero, then the router itโ€™s at discards the packet and doesnโ€™t transmit it again.

• When your phone is tethering, it acts like a router, so as the packet passes from your tethered laptop through your phone and onto the phone network, your phone will subtract โ€œ1โ€ from the TTL to show that the packet has passed through its first router. Phone networks know what the expected TTLs from common devices are (for instance packets from an iPhone always start at a TTL of 64) and so they can spot when theyโ€™re one less (or totally different) than theyโ€™re expecting.

• Thatโ€™s how these providers can tell if we are tethering. Otherwise, due to NAT, even with any number of devices shared through hotspot, the ISP will see it as a single source, so they adopted this approach.

• ๐—ช๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐˜€๐—ต๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฑ ๐—œ ๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ด๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ง๐—ง๐—Ÿ ๐˜ƒ๐—ฎ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ผ? The idea is to have other traffic (from tethered/other devices) โ€œblend inโ€ with regular traffic of your phone, so your ISP thinks itโ€™s still the phone making the requests.

This can be done on PC, or on Phone. If done, enjoy unthrottled speeds!

Source (credits): :point_right: ๐—ก๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ฒ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ฟ ๐— ๐—ผ๐—ฏ๐—ถ๐—น๐—ฒ ๐—œ๐—ป๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐˜ ๐Ÿฑ๐—š ๐˜€๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ?

1 Like

As a Mobile Operator - I would like to comment that Radio Spectrum, IP Transit Capacity and Network Infrastructure are all expensive and finite resources.

When I have to choose whether I use my network resources to provide a good service to thousands or millions of normal users vs a handful of โ€œgeeksโ€, then the choice is simple.

So when subscribers try to circumvent limits on my network - the network will react. Fair Usage Policies will kick in. People that try to bypass Fair Usage Policies will be kicked off the network permanently.

This is done for the benefit of the many.

1 Like

So mobile operator should state more clearly in their offer what the limitations are and what we shouldnt do.

Like all mobile operators says in the Ads that they give us access to the internet which is the biggest lie in the history. You give us access to intranet not internetโ€ฆ As typical John, signing service purchase agreement I am not aware of it and consequences related with it.

โ€œSo mobile operator should state more clearly in their offer what the limitations are and what we shouldnt do.โ€

The problem with this is that most people in this world really have no idea how much one megabyte is. Most people also have no idea whether they need 1mbit/s or 100mbit/s to watch a video on Youtube.

This is why operators are marketing โ€œUnlimitedโ€ internet. Gigabits and megabytes are simply not understood by normal people who just want to buy โ€œgood internetโ€.

This is interesting discussion.
What can public mobile operator offer premium service based on quality?
Some customers are willing to pay for premium service, for example home internet subscribers pay higher price for higher throughput.
We can eliminate varying radio condition from good to bad. Hypothetically 2 customers have identical radio conditions.