Google Contacts Sync not working in XIAOMI

Hello dears.

I am having an issue with my Google Contacts in my XIAOMI 9 Pro.

It simply do not Sync.

I go to Settings → Account & Sync → Google

And it updates all other Google apps, like Agenda.

But it has stopped synching Contacts for months, and only show the message:

“Sync is currently experience problems. It will be back shortly.”

But i have been trying for the last months, and it is always stuck.

Note: phone is updated to the last version.

2 Likes

Despite Xiaomi devices with international firmware having Google services and the Play Store unlike their Chinese counterparts, there are sometimes issues with syncing contacts anyway. The problem is caused by interference from MIUI, and luckily there’s a solution. Here’s how to get your Google contacts to sync.

The problem with MUIU and Google Contacts

As we said above, sometimes you can have some problems with Google apps and services using smartphones imported from China. Even if you have installed all the necessary apps or have a global/international firmware version for your Xiaomi smartphone, for some reason, the contacts might not want to synchronize properly. The Play Store and all other services may be fully functional, but not the contacts.

This problem with Xiaomi smartphones is more common than you’d expect and it’s caused by the custom version of Android that these smartphones use. MIUI is a skin that personalizes Android in depth, and if you love pastel colors and curated animations, you can’t not fall in love with it. Sometimes the system is a bit overzealous about preserving battery life or saving RAM and tends to block processes that it considers useless. Here’s how to unlock contact sync on Xiaomi’s MIUI.

How to synchronize Google contacts on Xiaomi MIUI

The procedure is simpler you might think. First things first, you need to make sure you have the right app for syncing contacts installed on your device. Here’s how to check:

• Go to the Settings
  • Scroll to the bottom of the list and select Installed apps
  • In the list, look for Google Contacts Sync

MIUI prevents the app from downloading the address book from Google servers.

In case you can’t find it, you can download and install it from this link. Just install it like any other APK file, and in case you need instructions, find our detailed guide to installing APKs here.

Fixing the problem

Now, here’s where we fix the problem. We have to tell MIUI to let this app sync in peace:

• Follow the steps above to find the Google Contacts Sync app in the app settings and select it
  • In the screen that appears, enable Autostart
  • In the submenu called Permissions , enable these entries:
    • Modify and delete contacts
    • Read your contacts
    • Access accounts on device
    • Start in background
  • Under Battery saver , select No restrictions

Now you just have to restart the device and check to see if everything is synchronizing properly. After you give it a couple of minutes to download your address book from Google’s servers, you’re done!

Source: How to sync Google contacts with Xiaomi and MIUI | NextPit

1 Like

Thanks @AlexB , but this “Solution” tells to install an app from unknwon source.

And i really do not like doing that… :frowning:

So, if anyone has faced same issue, and has another workaround (apart from installing third part app that are not in Google Play Store) i thank you a lot.

1 Like

Hello @Rafael_Caixeta.

I was facing exactly the same problem.

I have solved it.

1. Remove Google Account from your Smartphone.
  2. Restart your Smartphone.
  3. Add Google Account - and make sure you select to “Turn on Back up & sync”.

Also, turn Auto Sync ON.

Go to Settings → Accounts & sync → Enable or disable Auto-sync data

1 Like

I agree, it took forever to get Whatsapp to work trotting my baked up info from my previous phone. I still see no update on my contacts. Google is not bringing my contacts into this Chinese phone. Frustrating.

I’ll be damned… you solved my problem. I’ve been trying to sync for four good hours, when i came upon your answer. Unfortunately, apparently I’ve lost 500 contacts in the process, because I’ve removed my google account from my phone which weren’t sychronized since I’ve bought my Redmi. Should have looked it up it was a Redmi issue right from the start. Fortunately I have Whatsapp which keeps the conversation most people I’ve been in touch with. anyways, ive created this account simply to thank you for you help! Thanks a lot, dear sir!