Folder Size & TreeSize

Introduction

You can not understand why Windows does not come with this option - the Mac has: view the folder size.

When we visualize the files and folders in Windows Explorer, only got to see on our right the size of each file - the size of directories appear empty. To solve this problem, we can use the Folder Size, which we know today.

Why Use the Folder Size

The Folder Size is a program that adds a new column to the Details view in Windows Explorer. The new column shows not only the size of the files, but also the size of directories. The sizes of each directory are calculated, and you may know, for example, which is occupying too much space, helping in cleaning tasks and backup. Now that you know that this information might be available, will not want to be without use when needed.

Installation and License

installation Folder Size is trivial, and the program is free. Download the installation program from the Internet, and proceed with the default installation.

Program Site: http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/

Program Interface

The program has no interface itself. It’s very simple, and you can check it in action simply by opening Windows Explorer.

To view the new columns, simply click the right button (1) details on the top bar and select Folder Size. The size of each directory can now be seen on the Folder Size column (2), as well as the amount of sub-directories (column Folder Children) and Files (File column Children).

This is an interesting program, IF you do use it. Thus, we recommend to install it when you need it, and remove when no longer needed. Just to let Windows as free as possible. To remove, simply login Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Conclusion

This was a brief summary of the software Folder Size. This is a small program to show the size of the directories directly in Windows Explorer view option details.

We hope you’ve enjoyed. If you have any doubts, find the answers posting your comments in the blog or via our support via chat or email.

Till our next meeting, and remember: Your success is our success!

Thanks @Emmanuel. It was indeed a great tip.
I also used Folder Size in the past, and i need to tell: it did what it promised to do!

But as everything in life, we can change.

Currently I am using a much more versatile tool (do what Folder Size used to and more).

And I would like to share to my friends in Community here.

TreeSize Free

You open the Windows Explorer to check on your hard drives and all you see is red? There was room on your hard disk yesterday, but today it is gone? There is help!

The disk space manager TreeSize Free tells you where precious disk space has gone.

• Visualize disk space usage with the treemap chart.
  • Gain in-depth information in the column view.
  • Filter scan results and break down information to better clean up your hard disk.
  • Scan smartphones and mobile devices connected to you PC.
  • Scan network drives (not in Windows domains / on Windows Server) and locally synchronized cloud shares.
  • See the NTFS compression rate and apply NTFS compression to directory branches.
  • Use the touch interface on touchscreen devices.

The lightweight app TreeSize Free works directly on the Master File Table (MFT) and reaches extremely high scan speeds.

A portable ZIP file enables users to install TreeSize Free on a USB stick. More information is available at

Download: