Facebook claims cell coverage breakthrough!

Facebook claims cell coverage breakthrough! (Dec 03,2020)

Yes…

600 million (!) people around the world still live outside any internet coverage.

The challenge?

It’s often not economically viable to deliver internet connectivity to remote communities in lower-income countries.

This is SuperCell.

Towers like this can provide internet coverage to areas up 65 times larger than traditional macrocell towers. They’re designed to be a cost-effective, reliable alternative in rural areas.

Our incredible researchers and engineers at Facebook Connectivity have been working on this for years, and today they shared their full research with the wider telecom industry. :partying_face:

There’s no silver bullet for connecting the world, but new technology like this can play an important role. I’m proud we’re sharing it with the industry to help solve the global connectivity challenge.

What about Capacity?

According to the article:

B41 upto 38 KM
The testing demonstrated that SuperCell could facilitate two-way voice and video chat at a range of 38 kilometers. It also demonstrated a downlink throughput of 6 Mbps (50th percentile) and 7.8 Mbps (90th percentile), and an uplink throughput of 1 Mbps (50th percentile) and 1.2 Mbps (90th percentile) to a Samsung S7 user equipment (UE) at a range of 40 kilometers. Intersector UE handover also worked seamlessly during testing.

I’m not sure about what reuse they have used for 36 sectors in high narrow beams antennas.
This is mostly edge and considering single UE across the entire measured coverage.
I guess the question is about cell aggregate throughput.

Solution dedicated to coverage with sufficient throughput.

Hi,
38 km because of B41 band or because of power
And antenna high

Probably resources dedicated to each of 36 cells, spread into 10 degrees sector antennas clustered on a 120 degrees physical antenna.
The secret is to understand how they solved the inter-sectors interference.
And implemented a Base-Band with 12/24/36 cells.

In HW is possible to have a site with 6 cells having 33 dB antennas.
Which means 2 cells in a physical antenna sector of ~ 67 degrees.