Ericsson and Telefónica sign Cloud RAN MoU

Telefónica and Ericsson sign MoU for Cloud RAN evolution based on Open RAN architecture.

As an industry observer, I find this to be groundbreaking news.

:black_small_square: Telefónica is a key player in O-RAN Alliance and a Strong Supporter of Open RAN.
:black_small_square: Ericsson supports open-ran , although they previously listed numerous challenges
:black_small_square: John Baker, Mavenir’s Senior VP of Business Development, still expects Ericsson to certify its products and achieve interoperability with other vendors. Currently, Ericsson does not have an Open RAN.

It will be interesting to see who emerges as the final winner in this journey.

According to my assessment, the expectations will be as follows…

Telefónica :

:black_small_square: Gets the proven industry veteran to deliver its Open RAN Ambitions.
:black_small_square: A Proven SMO Powerhouse that needs to deliver against Open RAN objectives.
:black_small_square: A Proven Network Services Assurance Provider that needs to deliver against Open RAN Technical & Logistical challenges.
:black_small_square: A Strong Practical Trainer for future endeavors :slight_smile:
:black_small_square: The issues that need attention in a multi-vendor environment

Ericcson :

:black_small_square: The issues that need attention in a multi-vendor environment

:black_small_square: Gets the industry driver as the sponsor to get all other O-RAN players in its line.
:black_small_square: Gets the best possible real-world LAB in the world.
:black_small_square: Gets the best possible Operating Experience for Future Endeavors as a Solution and Services Provider.

O-RAN Alliance & Members :

:black_small_square: Gets the best large-scale reference
:black_small_square: Gets the best large marketplace for the future
:black_small_square: Validation of those Security issues used by Major OEMs to scare operators

This presents an opportunity where everyone can win and prepare for a larger market competition in the future. Personally, I expect, Telefonica to provide some valuable updates in O-RAN Alliance on the project as it evolves further.