Difference in Throughput and Latency for LTE versus 5G NR

How spectral efficiency… if modulation index, MIMO is same, PRB is same?

And how does CUPS help here?

Single user and PRB are 25 for 15 kHz SCS in 5 MHz for both 5G and 4G.

5G uses 1 to 6 % of guard band, LTE ~10%.

1 Like

Thats for more than 5 MHz.
In 5MHZ band PRB count is same I believe.

Not sure if NR deployment is done anywhere with 5 MHz CHBW.

1 Like

If it’s NSA and combined throughput check then possible I mean LTE+5G.
For 5G only throughput at MAC layer difference shouldn’t come.

In 5G scheduling happens at slot level (0.5 ms), in 4G scheduling happens at subframe level (1ms).

In 4G you need to exclude some RE for PDCCH, PCFICH, PHICH, CRS from total RE then remaining RE you can schedule so signalling overhead is higher compare to 5G (here you have Coreset, DMRS only).

Note. In LTE, First. 2 or 3 full symbol (in frequency domain) is used for PDCCH.

Here in 5G you have flexibility, for example you can configure 16 RB out of 25 RB for Coreset configuration and remaining RB you can use for PDSCH (using Rate matching Technic).

2 Likes

For NSA it is clear but I think you are talking about SA mode comparison btwn 4G& 5G; Even in 5G we have more overhead with TRS & CSI RS measurement for beam refinement, MIMO measurement compared to LTE.

I agree to have more RB from flexible configuration of PDCCH (CORESET) but overhead from CSI-RS configuration is much more in 5G thn 4G.

IF BW is <= 20Mhz (5,10,15,20 MHz) does slot level scheduling really brings benefit in 5G in terms of DL throughput?

How much % is higher throughput in NR if we compare it with same BW & same MIMO layers in SA mode ?

@arnab_ece05, can you explain more on this please?

I believe with same configuration & BW <= 20 MHz there is no benefit in 5G SA in terms of throughput compared to LTE.

1 Like

Do you think any operator will go for TRS and MIMO and beam forming for 5 MHz?

1 Like

We have some more RBs in 15 kHz SCS for 10,15 & 20 MHz CHBW as compared to LTE.
In LTE, these RBs were wasted in Guard band in band edges.
So in NR, the spectrum is better utilized.

2 Likes

I have generalize the Q not only for 5 MHz.
I am talking about <= 20 MHz & for 20 MHz, yes they should go with MIMO & TRS.

:+1: this is Understood, thanks @arnab_ece05.

2 Likes