Convert timing advance to distance

Hello Everyone,

Could you pls tell me in 5G NR how to calculate the distance from the timing advance value mentioned in the random access response (RAR) message (msg2)? For example, 12 bits TA in RAR can have a range of 0-3846. If the TA mentioned in the RAR in 20, how to get an idea about the distance between the UE and the base station.

If I do a similar comparison LTE, then TA can have ranged between 0 -1282. If in the RAR TA = 1282 then we can calculate the distance as

Nta = 1282 * 16Ts = (1282 * 16)/(2048 * 15000)

Distance = (3*1e8 * Nta)/2 = 100.15 km

I would like to do a similar calculation for 5G

Best regards
Megh

3 Likes

You may check this link 5G NR Timing Advance: RAR TA and MAC-CE TA - 5G MAC Layer

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply.
I have found the following link useful.

2 Likes

Hi, Mr. Vijay Anand, we know that Timing Advance is used to control the uplink transmission timing of individual UE.
My question is: are the operator’s devices able to store the timing advance for all active and idle UE in a specific cell? For example, in some specific CELL of BTS, there may be 3000 subscribers that are feeding into that specific sector, and 50% of those customers are in Active and 50% are in Idel Mode. Is it now possible to recognize all the 3000 UEs by the VLR, or do the 3000 UEs introduce themselves to the VLR after each and every 5 minutes?
any solution?