Can the 5G RAN be implemented over Public Cloud?

• My friend: Hi Ibrahim, I have a question for you.

• Me: Go ahead, please.
  • My friend: I was wondering if the 5G RAN can be implemented over public cloud such as Amazon, Microsoft, or Google?

• Me: This is a very good question. If we split the 5G RAN into DU and CU, as RU is still not virtualized and used as PNF (Physical Network Function), then CU can be hosted over public cloud similar to what DISH in US is doing by implementing its vCU over AWS public cloud using AWS Local Zones (Which are a type of AWS infrastructure deployment that place selected services closer to large population, and industry enabling you to deliver applications that require single-digit millisecond latency to end users), while their vDU is on-premises, either in cell site or in other data centers, and it is hosted over AWS Outposts (which is a pool of AWS compute and storage capacity deployed at a customer site for lower latency and local data processing needs), please check the below graph.
  • My friend: But what about the performance specially the latency?

• Me: The performance, including latency, is promising as per the tests done from different entities. Also, note that UPF is used in the same location of CU by making use of the CUPS feature (Control and User Plane Separation) and to provide lower latency. Moreover, AWS Direct Connect (which is a networking service that allows data that would have previously been transported over the internet to be delivered through a private network connection between your facilities and AWS) in combination with AWS Local Zones provide a sub 10 msec Midhaul connectivity between Dish’s on-prem RAN (5G DU) and 5G CU.
  • My friend: So, that means only CU can be used over public cloud while DU can’t, right?

• Me: Yes, as there is no MNO which implemented its DU over public cloud till now. However, I read at the news that recently Samsung had a successful trail with AWS to host its vDU over AWS public cloud powered by AWS EC2 instance, which will open the door to have this setup for any mobile network. Of course, using DU over public cloud will put a lot of challenges specially with the tight requirements of Fronthaul capacity and latency, but let’s see which MNO will be the first to deploy it and then we can judge the performance. Check the 1st comment for the link of this news.
  • My friend: Thank you very much, you made it very clear.

• Me: You are most welcome.

LinkedIn: :point_down:

Nice article.
Also , please , i have question too, is it a good architecture when the DU and UPF are located in the same local zone ?