5G Massive MIMO and beam forming

I want what is major difference between massive MIMO and beamforming… how massive MIMO works and beam forming work. How to configure the massive MIMO and beam forming

Hi;

Massive MIMO is considered as extension of MIMO system. Massive because of possibility to implement in one site more antenna than used in 4G e.g possible to install, I think, up to 256 Tx and 256 Rx. For beamforming is a technique which is used to focolize the beam in a specific user and the objective is minimizing SIR and improve coverage.
Also, It’s important to note that both techniques e.g Massive MIMO and beamforming are closely depending of the used of mm waves.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing information… in massive MIMO its having antenna elements and numbers of layers how its shown in antenna how its work

Massive MIMO can be working for SSB and DDB, but in case beamforming is working with DDB

Hi
Massive MIMO is a new communication system that recently have been implemented in 5G this systems uses many antennas at BS and using these antennas can beamforms the data of each user.
So i think beamforming is a technique that Massive MIMO systems use it perfectly.

Beam-forming is a technique used in Massive MIMO technology, to form the beams towards the users to provide the best services to them from experience and coverage perspectives.

@jraifi

You may be confusing yourself with antenna elements…

1 Like

Hi,
Could you clarify more what do you mean by confusi ng?

@jraifi
In massive MIMO systems, receivers often have one antenna.
In your reply, You mentioned that we have receivers with 256 antenna elements.
I think this statement need to be corrected.

Thanks for your remark,
I agree with you, I want to say each TRX is composed ox many radiant elements.

MIMO: Multiple antennas form a signal-boosting array to cover more directions and large areas.

Beamforming: Instead of transmitting the signal to an entire area, expecting to reach a target (UE) within that area, without considering obstacles, with beamforming the signal is concentrated on the targets (UEs). That is, identify the devices in that area and concentrate the signal on these devices. Bearing in mind, of course, UEs can also support Beamforming.
Concentrates wireless signal strength towards clients to expand coverage range

from the above comments, I think it’s clear what is Massive MIMO (a high number of 45 degrees polarized antennas distributed in pairs in a single array) and that beamforming is addressed to 1 User (the higher antenna the narrower is the beam).
But I would like to add the “BeamSwitch” feature that is somehow new, to switch the beam while the Use is in mobility scenario; it can give much more accuracy of antenna beams leading to better spectral efficency

1 Like