5G cell radius for SA and NSA

Hi Guys,
Does anyone have idea on 5G cell radius for SA and NSA what is recommended and why?

Hi
Cell radius, i think, will depend on spectrum band used. For band freq FR1 for example, the cell radius will be greater than one used for FR2 band.

Hi,
Cell radius is very much connected with downtilt for the cell and cell’s footprint and overshooting. Despite what vendors recommend (typical value of 3 km) I suggest to keep the value of this parameter to values like 20-30 kms to avoid rach failure, rrc failures and ho failures from users served from long distance and also to avoid users with “no service” on phone due to this parameter. This parameter is very important.

Guys any ideas on this?
If it can be kept more than recommened for initial SA launch - Huawei recommends 3 km.

It all depends on your downtilt and footprint of 5G cell.
If you don’t want trouble I suggest to keep cellradius like 20-30 km to avoid rach, rrc and ho failures due to cellradius.

I think it depends also on spectrum band used e.g FR1 or FR2.

Well for LTE 15 km is recommended for macro and 3 km for indoor, but for 5G it should be much less for NR signal.
Just looking for any comments.
If someone has trialled this and can provide trial based feedback.

Yes we are using FR1.

Hello @rahul079
As per my studies and from various sources, for 5G it should be even in range of 5 to 8 km.
It can be even less.

Are you aware what will happen in this case with a user that is trying to use the cell from 10 km away?

Yes, he will have rach failure or in technical terms either have to be admitted from neighbouring cell or if he is an active user, he will have poor coverage and even error in decoding messages simple control messages.
Totally causing malfunction or hampered or compormised QoS.

Actually user will stay with “no service” on the phone.
He cannot pass rach on the cell due to this parameter.
If you change it to 20-30 km user will get service.
There are many cells in a network that provide service even from 10-15 km away.
I speak from my own experience with 3g and 4g about cell radius.

Correct, I am not sure but some simple simulation tool, it can be traced and cross verified.
Tools like cloudrf … although it’s not open source but it’s a nice tool.

In this case why do you want to keep cellradius at 5-8 km instead of keeping it global at 30 km?

Yes makes sense as initial 5G network does not have too many sites.
As network becomes more mature with more 5G cells then perhaps changing cell radius to a lower value will be more appropriate.

Idea is that there will always be overshooting cells with more than 150 neighbors in OSS.
For this kind of neighbors you will need a high value of cell radius no matter what.

Initially we need to have NSA 5G and then when it comes to SA, we can use smaller cells.

I had 3 customers complaints due to this cell radius each user was located at about 10 km from cell.
Users with no service on the smartphone although there was RSRP like -110 dBm and RSRQ good just because cell radius was at 2 km.
I changed it to 20 km and all 3 problems were solved just because planner didn’t want to implement more downtilt on antenna.
Right approach would have been more downtilt or RS power change.

Great, but didn’t it have any side effects on their Qos?
If the RSRP has simply improved then ok, but if not it might have effect on QoS.

UEs were able to get service and a reasonable throughput after this. Considering there was no service before it was an improvement.