5G Antenna orientation in order to get the highest rank indicator

5G Planning question: how do you guys plan the antenna orientation for 5G in order to get the highest rank indicator?
Do you place it to bounce signal from multiple buildings before reaching the UE?
Or do you plan it with plain line of sight?

Sometime to get the highest rank for a specific building Huawei recommends to have an antenna orientation to bounce signal also with ground to reach the highest possible rank indicator.
So 2-3 paths to be available for the UE: one from direct line of sight, one from earth bouncing, one from another building bouncing and so on.

I do not know much about planning, but do we really have above choices to decide azimuth?
I mean straight way we can choose LOS right?
Multipath may give good RI, thats why you think it should be used with bounce signals?

I mean allow the signal to also bounce from ground.

Yes, right. I also though your intention is to get good RI.

It is more about tilt than about azimuth.
I mean in 5G all tilts should start from 7-8 degrees up.
Especially in residential area tilts should be like 10-12 degrees at least when ISD is less than 1 km.

Ok, you wrote orientation thats why i asked. :wink:

We should all remember that 105H16V has lower gain that 45H25V.
And 45H25V is more suitable, but needs a carefull orientation in tilt and azimuth.

All indian operator play with tilt, just to either reduce coverage (overlapping) and increase coverage.
I have not seen anyone chaging tilt to get good RI/multipaths.
It’s worth trying what Huawei is recommending.

Planning and prediction analysis with 3D maps preferred for 5G.
As the antennae are multiple elements 8T8R, 32T32R, 64T64R, etc. with beamforming capabilities and vertical coverage capabilities, its important to do dimensioning using 3D building data on top of grc and grd files.

It’s easy to say, but it takes lot of 3D maps for this. :wink:
Especially for mmWave.
Very rare foliage 3D map.

We did planning for an operator in 3.5Ghz using 3D maps, and true, for mmWave foliage data plays a very important role, so a separate foliage map also needs to be imported in planning tool for consideration along with 3D building maps.

mmWave need higher resolution 3D map for accurate coverage prediction.
Last time i know people using 1 meter x 1 meter resolution.
Interested to know whether is down to cm level resolution for the carto map.

Sounds like exploiting multipath to gain highest channel gain from various rays.

As per my experience with Huawei AAU-based 5G Antennas, it is recommended to use the multipath effect by bouncing the signal back from buildings in order to get the maximum RANK indicator.

Multipath activates more beam thus results in more throughput and high rank indicator