What is the USE case of NB-IoT which cannot run on LTE network?

Hello Experts.

I have a query regarding NB-IoT vs LTE Network.

We have LTE network then why do operators need NBIOT for its use cases?

What is the USE case of NB-IoT which cannot run on LTE network?

1 Like

NB-IoT is dedicated for different use cases that focus on low power devices like water-meters or utilities or smart watches.

These NB-IoT work on a low BW with low power, with some characteristics like low frequency of transmission.

NB-IoT is part of LTE … also there’s LTE-M.

M2M use cases can be done using for example LORA without LTE.

Also, our good friend chat gpt answers this:

Also, some specific use cases where NB-IoT excels include:

Means, all these use cases can also be run on LTE but due to less bandwidth requirement and battery power saving (long life) and for fast response as there is very low signalling in NB-IoT?

Yes, this is correct!

Exactly, LORA, LTE-M are already used here in France for water metering use cases and other services.

Nice topic: LTE vs NB-IoT.

Wondering the differences NB-IoT vs 5G IoT?

Any thoughts?

Iot 4G or 5G is totally different from NB-IoT.

It was my previous job as SA IOT-A.

Here in Europe, it is mainly related to data CN domain, not RAN.

Thanks.

Can you (or anyone) please elaborate a bit more?

For instance: NB-IoT for 4G and 5G IoT - which cons pros?

And 4G IoT: how different than NB-IoT, as it is a term for 4G.

Key reason is lower cost of NBIoT modules/devices, but also lower power consumption of NBIoT modems, and better “coverage”, because of retransmission strategies provided by NBIoT.
Besides all of that, NBIoT carrier can be deployed on the guard band of a regular 4G carrier - causing no damage to LTE capacity.
NBIoT is usually the 4G connectivity replacement for 2G - same bandwidth (200KHz), low bitrates, cheap modems.
To ilustrate the “coverage”, I know about tests where an NBIoT device was able to communicate at 100KM from eNB.

1 Like