Why are some Operators developing their own 5G technology?

Some operators are developing their own 5G technology: First Rakuten, Jio and recently Airtel.
As their notes, they are trying to build their own 5G technology in order to gain faster speed and reduce costs.
Is this a trend or doesn’t make sense?
Are Open RAN and also the Geopolitical scenario motivation/triggers, or are they just trying to stay ahead, for example with own R&D to have their own intellectual property in future?
Doesn’t it seems they’re changing their core business (provide mobile services)?

2 Likes

Yes you are right…In India, TSDSI- Telecom standards development society, India is formed.
This will be useful or not that time will say but for sure each country is trying for their own IPR (Intellectual property rights) against 3GPP. That will create difficulty for vendors such as Nokia & Ericsson…
Also TSDSI has acknowledged that its 5G specifications aren’t interoperable with globally defined 3GPP standards.

I think NTT and NEC started this trend with 5G about 3 years ago…
+ Fujitsu.

Where will this land up, no idea.
I think it’s operators strategy to break Nokia, Ericsson price.
After Chinese move out.

Totally.
Get rid of OEMs as much as they can.
It seems as interfaces get opened they are more “free” to do it.

But this is what it is I guess.
Like generic medicine… it works for most of the cases and allows huge savings.
If you really need a “better” option, go with Brand.

Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Facebook… would acquire the Operators.

Not everyone uses Uber.
But almost everyone uses mobile.
Cellular operators have edge on Data.
And data is the most precious resource.

Yes, but what about RF person?
Working 24 * 7, having good knowledge…

I’m an RF guy myself, but i think that as infrastructure prices plunge, optimization folks will become less appealing. Just buy more gNBs.
I really think Optimization Engineers will start facing tough times.
(I include myself on this).

I can understand the pain.