Samsung to Bring Open RAN to Europe With Vodafone UK

Big step in Open RAN

Vodafone UK selects Samsung for Europe’s first wide-scale commercial deployment of Open RAN powered by vRAN; Samsung enters Europe with its latest 5G solutions

1. First wide-scale commercial deployment of 5G Open Virtual disaggregated RAN.
  2. Entry of Samsung’s First 5G commercial network in UK & Europe
  3. UK’s first carrier grade commercial Open RAN based 3gpp compliant 4G/5G network

Britain has already ordered all Huawei equipment to be removed from its 5G network by the end of 2027, echoing a U.S. campaign against Huawei, citing national security risks.
Samsung is banking on Europe to maintain growth in its network equipment business, a senior executive told Reuters earlier this month, as 5G rollouts widen around the world.
The European telecoms equipment market is dominated by Nokia, Ericsson and Huawei, but Samsung has entered the picture after it unexpectedly landed a $6 billion deal with U.S. giant Verizon in September.

Same goes in my country too: all MNOs must remove Huawei RAN within 7 years.

Instead of up and down Huawei taking care of employees no job cut and giving proper care. Good step👍

Problem with Samsung it has no support for legacy network.

No need for 2G, 3G. Sunset happening in most part of World.

Really? 3G I know is going to be shut down but 2G?

That is very interesting topic I would really like to hear about.
Are there many operators around the globe planning for 2G shutdown in the near future?

In latin america it’s always a topic of discution due to the limited bandwidth, but the networks stills have traffic.