LTE Congestion identification from Drive Tests

Hi experts,

We are doing occasional benchmark campaigns in our country (Europe). We know that VoLTE quality begins to suffer when the UL active users for Data are quite high and in many cases the user perception MOS becomes unacceptable due to this. We know these from counters. But on a DT campaign it is very difficult to have an accurate sampling to spot local issues that are not systemic.

Do you have any idea how we can spot congestion from Drive Test? I know that if you look at the scanner level you can calculate something based on RSRQ/SINR .

Many thanks.
I think this is an interesting question that will come up in the next years.

Hi @rubao.

I suppose it is possible to correlate low VoLTE MOS levels (from Drive Tests) and high cell utilization (number of users/Volte PRB utilization from counters) especially for cell-busy hour. And then you will be able to identify a kind of threshold when your VoLTE MOS is lower than it is required on a map.

Also you can try to find the most loaded area (just a few sites) and in BH perform drive-tests/walk-tests to accumulate the most relevant information.
I am sure it is possible to correlate low MOS levels with ether counters or DT data (UL SINR/ UL RSSI/ RSRQ and so on).

1 Like

Many thanks. We want to develop a method to identify congestion only from DTs. We thus can check competitors and why they may be lagging in some areas, or if they have the similar amount of load in an area.

In this case I don’t know exactly.
Probably it is possible to accumulate a lot of data in BH in the most overloaded area with low MOS and then to correlate different metrics with low MOS measurements.