Convert kilobits (kbit) to megabytes (MB): 1000 or 1024?r

Hi there, I have a simple question, but confusing
For Traffic KPIs calculation in Ericsson, the counters are in kilobits.
So the conversion to MegaBytes, GigaBytes, and so on.
Should we go dividing by 1024 or 1000?

1 kbit = 0.000125 MB

It will divided by (8*1024)… from kbit to MByte

When the question is "how many bits are in a kilobit (kb), the answer tends to vary. Some people answer that it’s obvious it’s 1,000 bits, while others argue that the value is actually 1,024 bits. And now, in who to trust?

Who solves this question is the National Institute of Standards and Technology, the United States agency that regulates standards of measurements and units. He is the one who defines the amount used officially, at least in the country, and this decision ends up being transported to other places as well.

What is the answer? Basically, the official value is really 1,024 bits, but the industry in general has adopted 1,000 bits to simplify these values ​​visually - and that whole number, according to NIST, is what should be used.

The confusion has began when computer professionals noticed that 2 to the tenth power (or 2^10), which equals 1,024, was “almost a lot like” 1,000. To create a nomenclature that facilitated communication and reduced the amount of characters on the screen, they began using the prefix “kilO” to define this number - and in the International System (SI) of measurement, kilo means “a thousand something” , as in kg (kilograms, or thousand grams and km (kilometers, or thousand meters).

That is, those who worked with computers and electronics in general used the term kilobit knowing that, in fact, the value is 1,024 bits, despite the name indicating something else. The problem is that this community grew and not only professionals but also casual users began to adopt the terminology - and not everyone knew the true meaning.

As much as the value is really 1,024 bits, the industry ended up adopting the other number. Thus, a megabyte of memory is not worth 1,048,576 bytes, but 1,000,000 bytes. And the situation gets even more complicated when other industries adopt different values: some network designers use 1,048,576. bit/sec like 1 megabit per second, while the good old 1.44 MB floppy takes 1,024,000 bytes.

1 Like

Great answer.
It is as mentioned at the university: “always indicate number + units”.
I got also this reference, MB to KB Conversion Megabytes to Kilobytes Calculator , where they mentioned:

How many Kilobytes in a Megabyte

1 Megabyte is equal to 1000 kilobytes (decimal).
1 MB = 103 KB in base 10 (SI).

1 Megabyte is equal to 1024 kilobytes (binary).
1 MB = 210 KB in base 2.

In my case, I am in the middle between technical and sales, I mentioned in any proposal the decimal way: “1000 KB = 1MB” .

Both of them are correct, actually you need agreement between stockholder and use consistency for all calculation, Throughput, Payload, and another KPI related this one

1 Like

Thanks all for your answers,
so it is a confusing subject, and I don’t think that we all can set an agreement on which conversion we need to use.
I’m asking because I used to convert by deviding or multiplying by 1024, but recently by reading Ericsson description on one of the counters I found the below, but I was looking in any official documentation from Ericsson to confirm that, I found nothing. so Now I dont know if I will just continue with 1024 or I must update all reporting with 1000 base conversion.

EUtranCellTDD pmPdcpVolUlSrb long ACC,ropReset

The total number of bits (PDCP SDU) on Signaling Radio Bearers that has been transferred (acknowledged by the RBS) in the uplink direction.
SRB0 volume is not included in this counter.
Condition: Continuous measurement for SRBs aggregated to cell level.
Counter type: ACC
Sampling rate: -
Scanner: Primary
Counter is reset after measurement period: Yes
Category type: Traffic, Area: Utilization, Scenario: Volume
Category type: Traffic, Area: Integrity, Scenario: Throughput
Category type: KPI, Area: Utilization, Scenario: Uplink Volume
Unit: kilobit (1 000 bits)

BR